Brown Ale Beer-Battered Fish and Chips Recipe
November 10, 2014
Leave it to the English to combine their love of beer with the readily available supply of cod surrounding them. An order of fish and chips and a brown ale is standard ration in some parts of the Atlantic Island. This is certainly one of those "some for the recipe and some for me" occasions. Ingredients
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Brown Ale (we'd suggest Churchills Nut Brown Ale)
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into pieces
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, garlic salt, garlic powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix in beer until no dry lumps remain.
- Dip the cod into the batter, allow some of the excess to run off, then carefully place into the deep-fryer.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside, and the fish is easily flaked, about 8 minutes. Cook the fish in several batches to avoid over loading the deep fryer.