Irish Stout Beef Stew Recipe
March 17, 2015
Nothing says St. Patrick's Day better than beef stew enriched with Irish stout. This recipe was provided by forum member MichaelL. Thanks Michael! Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Ingredients
- 2 pounds stew beef (sirloin preferred, chuck OK)
- Flour for dredging
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups Guinness-style Irish stout
- 5 carrots
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Season the meat with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour.
- Melt butter with oil in large saucepan or a stockpot. Cook the meat in batches, 5 to 7 minutes, until evenly browned on all sides.
- Remove meat from pot, and cook the onions for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Return the meat to the pot, and add stock and stout. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour.
- After an hour, add the carrots and potatoes, and cook for another 30 minutes, until the meat and vegetables are tender and the stew has thickened.