Potato, Bacon, and Cheese Pierogi Recipe
- 3 cups AP flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ tsp oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 strips of cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 T butter
- 5oz cream cheese, softened
- 5oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Combine sifted flour and salt in a bowl.
- Mix boiling water into flour with a fork, crushing lumps as they form. Cover with a cloth and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix cold water into mixture with a fork, crushing lumps as they form. Cover with a cloth and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and allow excess moisture to evaporate. Press through a ricer or strainer into a large bowl. Stir in bacon, green onion, butter, cheeses, salt, and pepper. Cover, set aside.
- Add oil to mixture and knead until smooth and uniform, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add a bit of flour to a cutting board or clean countertop. Roll dough flat (1/10 inch) keeping top side flour free. Cut 3" rounds with a cup. Spoon filling into the middle of each circle and fold pressing dough free sides together to seal. Collect remaining dough, reform, and repeat.
- Boil salted, oiled water and add pierogi in small batches. Pierogi are finished when they float. Be sure to allow water to re-boil before adding next batch.
- If desired, fry pierogi in a pan with butter after boiling.
Serve with sour cream and chives. Pierogi can be made with various fillings such as beef, pork, mushroom, sauerkraut, sweet curd, various fruits, and mousse. Frying is not recommended with wet fillings as they tend to break apart. Uncooked pierogi can be frozen as well.